Tuesday 27 August 2013

Pigs organ soup



Serves 2

2 handfuls of small intestines, washed and cut into 3 inch pieces
As much pig's liver as you like, sliced
1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns, lightly smashed
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
finely ground white pepper
tsao tsing wine
1 tablespoon sugar
pinch of salt
Coriander leaves or spring onions to garnish
Optional: pickled vegetables or Chinese cabbage

1. Marinade the intestines with pinch of white pepper and tsao tsing wine.

2. In a small - medium pot, bring water to a boil with black peppercorns and vinegar.

3. Add the intestines to the boiling water and skim off as much scum as you can.

4. Lower the heat to a simmer and boil for 1.5 to 2 hours.

5. After boiling for 1.5-2 hours, season with salt and sugar and more ground white pepper.

6. Boil the liver till it's fully cooked and garnish with coriander leaves or spring onions.

* I know a lot of people get squeamish about the odd bits of an animal. I love them. In fact there's probably nothing I wouldn't eat, and I dislike nothing that can be put in my mouth. As kids, my siblings and I never had that stage of hating foods like broccoli, other vegetables. We ate what Mum and Dad ate, and that was that. 

In Singapore the odd bits are prized - pigs tails, pigs organs, chicken livers, hearts, bones, heads, - what a butcher would give you for free in Western countries, we have to pay for here. They are cheap but it's not free! I believe when some people say if you kill an animal, then respect it by using every part of it.

Organs were once so prized they were on the tables of kings and queens! I urge you to try it out - what's the worst that can happen to you!?

No comments:

Post a Comment